Chicken and Mango Curry Fold Overs with Jewelled Rice
Checkers - Oct 5th 2018, 08:50
This fruity curry and rice recipe can be enjoyed in many ways! Serve it for supper in large bowls at the dinner table or enjoy it wrapped in a delicious roti for an easy to eat, on the go meal. Have it your way!
Vegetable oil; for frying
1 onion; peeled and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves; peeled and crushed
2 cm ginger; peeled and finely grated
3 cardamom pods; bruised
2 tbsp. (30 ml) curry powder
1 tsp. (5 ml) ground turmeric
500 g skinless, boneless chicken thighs; chopped
½ can tomato puree
1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
30 g Padkos dried mango
Salt and freshly ground pepper
½ can coconut milk
Handfull of fresh coriander; chopped
4 rotis or wraps
For the jewelled rice:
½ cup (125 ml) basmati rice
½ tsp. (2,5 ml) turmeric
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos dried cranberries
3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos raw almonds; chopped
To make the curry
1. Heat a little oil in a heavy-based pot and gently fry onions, garlic, ginger and cardamom until the onions are lightly golden and beginning to soften.
2. Add the curry powder and turmeric, and continue to fry until fragrant (about 30 sec.).
3. Add the chicken thighs, season with a little salt and pepper, and fry for a couple of minutes or until lightly browned all over.
4. Pour in the tomato puree and chicken stock, and add in the dried mango.
5. Cover with lid and simmer for 20–30 min. or until chicken is cooked.
6. Stir through the coconut milk and garnish with coriander.
To make the jewelled rice
1. Cook rice with the turmeric, according to packet instructions.
2. Season with salt and pepper, and add in the dried cranberries and chopped almonds.
1. Heat the rotis or wraps in a dry pan over a low heat.
2. Spoon rice and curry into the centre, garnish with coriander, fold to close and serve immediately.Click here for more Checkers recipes
Chateau Del Rei, the stylish sparkling wine in a can, introduces two new bubblies this summer because all good things come in threes.
For the majority of South Africans, the festive season is a time of relaxation, joy and reconnecting with loved ones. However, according to animal welfare societies in South Africa, it is notoriously a time where more animals than normal are admitted to these facilities.
The Clover Mama Afrika 2019 cooks and bakers returned for the last course of the year. This training session was made possible by a new project partner, Mergon Foundation and it was dedicated to baking and cake decorating.
Mzansi’s iconic bubble gum, Chappies, has been bringing consumers together with its fun flavours and quirky ‘Did You Know?’ facts for over 70 years.
Try these recipes
Soft and fluffy blueberry muffins with fudge crumble are a must-eat pastry. Try this simple recipe now.
A rich and creamy risotto with crispy bacon and cheese.
Four ingredients and 10 minutes stand between you and a freezer-stash of irresistible sugar-free coconut lollies – the perfect, healthy, summertime treats.
A celebration salad, perfect for a family lunch or picnic! Let’s take advantage of our beautiful South African weather, pack a picnic basket and head off to a nature reserve or park and have some downtime.