Chicken and Mango Curry Fold Overs with Jewelled Rice
Checkers - Oct 5th 2018, 08:50
This fruity curry and rice recipe can be enjoyed in many ways! Serve it for supper in large bowls at the dinner table or enjoy it wrapped in a delicious roti for an easy to eat, on the go meal. Have it your way!
Vegetable oil; for frying
1 onion; peeled and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves; peeled and crushed
2 cm ginger; peeled and finely grated
3 cardamom pods; bruised
2 tbsp. (30 ml) curry powder
1 tsp. (5 ml) ground turmeric
500 g skinless, boneless chicken thighs; chopped
½ can tomato puree
1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
30 g Padkos dried mango
Salt and freshly ground pepper
½ can coconut milk
Handfull of fresh coriander; chopped
4 rotis or wraps
For the jewelled rice:
½ cup (125 ml) basmati rice
½ tsp. (2,5 ml) turmeric
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos dried cranberries
3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos raw almonds; chopped
To make the curry
1. Heat a little oil in a heavy-based pot and gently fry onions, garlic, ginger and cardamom until the onions are lightly golden and beginning to soften.
2. Add the curry powder and turmeric, and continue to fry until fragrant (about 30 sec.).
3. Add the chicken thighs, season with a little salt and pepper, and fry for a couple of minutes or until lightly browned all over.
4. Pour in the tomato puree and chicken stock, and add in the dried mango.
5. Cover with lid and simmer for 20–30 min. or until chicken is cooked.
6. Stir through the coconut milk and garnish with coriander.
To make the jewelled rice
1. Cook rice with the turmeric, according to packet instructions.
2. Season with salt and pepper, and add in the dried cranberries and chopped almonds.
1. Heat the rotis or wraps in a dry pan over a low heat.
2. Spoon rice and curry into the centre, garnish with coriander, fold to close and serve immediately.Click here for more Checkers recipes
SABC, Western Cape Government, KPMG, Multichoice, Nedbank, Uber, and SA Home Loans make up a fraction of the companies not only in attendance but delivering keynote addresses at what remains the largest Customer Experience Management Summit in Africa. The event is taking place from 31st July to 1st August 2019 at the CTICC in Cape Town.
Bashew’s, the Cape’s iconic and cherished soft drink dating back to 1899, pays tribute to one of South Africa’s most popular comedy shows, Joe Barber.
For an incredible fourth year running, KWV has been awarded the Producer of the Year Trophy in the Brandy and Cognac category at the International Spirit Challenge (ISC).
Bolstered by the overall category growth, Vital Health Foods – Africa’s leading manufacturer of complementary medicines and health supplements (IRI Aztec 2018) – has launched their new premium scientifically-formulated Vital Health Science range; a suite of health products that have been expertly formulated with high quality raw materials obtained through a world-class sourcing process and subject to rigorous compliance testing in Vital Health Foods’ laboratory.
Try these recipes
This spicy, zesty hot chocolate is an instant indulgence. Best of all, it’s made with vitamin-rich citrus fruit!
Sit back and relax after dinner with a delicious home-made dom pedro. This cheeky whisky cocktail is easy to make and a sweet adults-only treat.
Outrageously rich and delicious.
With hearty lentils and gourmet mushrooms, you won’t even miss the meat in this vegetarian take on an Italian classic.