Chicken and Mango Curry Fold Overs with Jewelled Rice
Checkers - Oct 5th 2018, 08:50
This fruity curry and rice recipe can be enjoyed in many ways! Serve it for supper in large bowls at the dinner table or enjoy it wrapped in a delicious roti for an easy to eat, on the go meal. Have it your way!
Vegetable oil; for frying
1 onion; peeled and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves; peeled and crushed
2 cm ginger; peeled and finely grated
3 cardamom pods; bruised
2 tbsp. (30 ml) curry powder
1 tsp. (5 ml) ground turmeric
500 g skinless, boneless chicken thighs; chopped
½ can tomato puree
1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
30 g Padkos dried mango
Salt and freshly ground pepper
½ can coconut milk
Handfull of fresh coriander; chopped
4 rotis or wraps
For the jewelled rice:
½ cup (125 ml) basmati rice
½ tsp. (2,5 ml) turmeric
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos dried cranberries
3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos raw almonds; chopped
To make the curry
1. Heat a little oil in a heavy-based pot and gently fry onions, garlic, ginger and cardamom until the onions are lightly golden and beginning to soften.
2. Add the curry powder and turmeric, and continue to fry until fragrant (about 30 sec.).
3. Add the chicken thighs, season with a little salt and pepper, and fry for a couple of minutes or until lightly browned all over.
4. Pour in the tomato puree and chicken stock, and add in the dried mango.
5. Cover with lid and simmer for 20–30 min. or until chicken is cooked.
6. Stir through the coconut milk and garnish with coriander.
To make the jewelled rice
1. Cook rice with the turmeric, according to packet instructions.
2. Season with salt and pepper, and add in the dried cranberries and chopped almonds.
1. Heat the rotis or wraps in a dry pan over a low heat.
2. Spoon rice and curry into the centre, garnish with coriander, fold to close and serve immediately.Click here for more Checkers recipes
Reflecting its commitment to tackling the supply chain skills crisis head on, SAPICS, The Professional Body for Supply Chain Management, recently hosted the 11th annual Supply Chain Management Education Excellence Awards. This event recognises individuals, organisations and educators who are going the extra mile to advance and develop the supply chain and operations management profession
Bull Brand, one of SA’s most iconic food brands, has launched a new bold ‘Inner Strength’ brand repositioning aimed at leveraging the heritage of the brand while finding new relevance for a broader audience.
DHL has appointed Jed Michaletos as Managing Director of DHL Express South Africa, effective from 14 January 2019. Michaletos is responsible for driving business growth for the company in South Africa, with a strong focus on enhancing customer experience, employee engagement and service quality.
Rhodes Food Group, producer of popular convenient baby and toddler food brand Squish, has launched an extended range to its Squish portfolio of 100% fruit and veg purees, and 100% fruit and veg pressed infant juices.
Try these recipes
Because sometimes we can’t wait until dessert to get our chocolate fix…
Perfect dessert for your Valentine's Day dinner in.
This is not a cheap dish to make, but it is a spectacular meat-free recipe fit for a celebratory lunch or dinner.