Chicken and Mango Curry Fold Overs with Jewelled Rice
Checkers - Oct 5th, 08:50
This fruity curry and rice recipe can be enjoyed in many ways! Serve it for supper in large bowls at the dinner table or enjoy it wrapped in a delicious roti for an easy to eat, on the go meal. Have it your way!
Vegetable oil; for frying
1 onion; peeled and finely sliced
2 garlic cloves; peeled and crushed
2 cm ginger; peeled and finely grated
3 cardamom pods; bruised
2 tbsp. (30 ml) curry powder
1 tsp. (5 ml) ground turmeric
500 g skinless, boneless chicken thighs; chopped
½ can tomato puree
1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
30 g Padkos dried mango
Salt and freshly ground pepper
½ can coconut milk
Handfull of fresh coriander; chopped
4 rotis or wraps
For the jewelled rice:
½ cup (125 ml) basmati rice
½ tsp. (2,5 ml) turmeric
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos dried cranberries
3 tbsp. (45 ml) Padkos raw almonds; chopped
To make the curry
1. Heat a little oil in a heavy-based pot and gently fry onions, garlic, ginger and cardamom until the onions are lightly golden and beginning to soften.
2. Add the curry powder and turmeric, and continue to fry until fragrant (about 30 sec.).
3. Add the chicken thighs, season with a little salt and pepper, and fry for a couple of minutes or until lightly browned all over.
4. Pour in the tomato puree and chicken stock, and add in the dried mango.
5. Cover with lid and simmer for 20–30 min. or until chicken is cooked.
6. Stir through the coconut milk and garnish with coriander.
To make the jewelled rice
1. Cook rice with the turmeric, according to packet instructions.
2. Season with salt and pepper, and add in the dried cranberries and chopped almonds.
1. Heat the rotis or wraps in a dry pan over a low heat.
2. Spoon rice and curry into the centre, garnish with coriander, fold to close and serve immediately.Click here for more Checkers recipes
NRF B-Complex fizzy is a cranberry flavoured effervescent tablet with antioxidants which helps to boost energy effectively and prevent that frequent afternoon slump. Each tablet should be taken daily in half a glass of water.
Iconic South African wine and spirits company, KWV, returned to the country’s prestigious Veritas Wine Awards with a shining performance, securing no less than 8 Double Gold and 12 Gold medals overall for its wines and spirits – making it one of the top-performing company’s on the evening.
Scottish Leader, one of South Africa’s favourite whisky brands, has released a limited-edition gift pack in collaboration with the popular I See A Different You creative duo, Innocent Mukheli and Vuyo Mpantsha.
Try these recipes
Swap mint cream for your favourite ice cream.
This is the big and beautiful brownie cookie of your dreams!
A summery dish, perfect for serving at a party.
A decadent way to end a dinner party.