Chicory Bake Parmesan and Nut Crumb
Checkers - Jan 22nd, 09:05
Chicory, witloof, endive – whatever you call it, it’s delicious.
70 g Parmesan; grated
3 tbsp. (45 ml) melted butter
100 g Padkos raw mixed nuts
10 g parsley
Salt and pepper
200 g streaky bacon
6–8 heads of chicory; halved lengthways
2 garlic cloves; peeled and minced
1 onion; peeled and finely diced
1 cup (250 ml) white wine
½ cup (125 ml) chicken stock
Parsley; to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
2. Place the Parmesan, melted butter, nuts and parsley in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
3. Fry the bacon in a large ovenproof pan until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan, roughly chop and set aside.
4. Fry the chicory in the same pan for 2 min. on each side or until just golden brown, then remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 min. or until translucent, before adding the wine and chicken stock and reducing by a third.
6. Return the chicory and bacon back to the pan and top with the cheese and nut crumb.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 min. or until golden brown and crisp. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Serves: 4Click here for more Checkers recipes
As South Africa celebrates Women’s Month this August, Bavaria magnifies and highlights the vital role that women play in society: the mothers who raised us, and the daughters who continue to bind families together. Women are a source of power and a symbol of progress. Indeed, they are the very fabric that weaves our great nation together.
The 3rd annual Soweto Kota Festival will take place on 7 and 8 September 2019, and SASKO, the experts in milling and baking, is proud to announce it has renewed its sponsorship for a third year.
Blowing the nose frequently, because of allergies, colds or flu, can leave the delicate skin around the nose and lips chapped, red and sore. Letibalm, formulated specifically to protect and care for the lips, nose and the skin in-between, now has an improved formula and there’s a new addition to the family – new Letibalm Junior Nose and Lips Repair Fluid.
KWV Brandy is proud to announce that it cinched another award in a major spirits competition.
Try these recipes
A shot of espresso enhances the chocolate flavour.
Panna Cotta is usually prepared as a dessert, but this recipe foregrounds the savoury, delicate flavours of asparagus and lightly smoked trout which pairs wonderfully with Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc. Recipe provided courtesy of Cathedral Cellar wines. (Serves 4).
A rich, savoury showstopper, perfect with a glass of wine, or as a light meal with well-dressed greens and succulent lamb chops.
A simple curry with the benefit of very little fat and fibre-rich chickpeas!