Chocolate Chilli Steak with Zucchini Noodles
Checkers - Jun 3rd, 10:23
Because sometimes we can't wait until dessert to get our chocolate fix...
1 tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
1 small onion; peeled and finely diced
1 garlic clove; peeled and minced
3 chillies; halved and deseeded
4 thyme sprigs; leaves only
1 cup (250 ml) beef stock
2 cups (500 ml) red wine
70 g 70% dark chocolate; roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
4 x 200 g Steakhouse Classic rump
350 g zucchini noodles; steamed
20 g fresh wild rocket
1. Heat olive oil in a pot and add the onion, garlic, chilli and thyme. Sauté for 5–8 min. or until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the beef stock and red wine and allow to simmer until reduced by two thirds, then strain and discard the solids.
3. Place the liquid into a clean pot set over low heat and whisk in the chocolate until the sauce is smooth and velvety. Remove and set aside.
4. Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Drizzle the steak with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fry each steak to your preferred doneness and remove from pan. Allow to rest for 10 min. before slicing. Pour any resting juices from the meat into the sauce for added extra flavour.
5. Toss the wild rocket through the steamed zucchini noodles, season with a little salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
6. Serve steak with the zucchini noodles and the chocolate chilli sauce.
Click here for more Checkers recipes
As South Africa celebrates Women’s Month this August, Bavaria magnifies and highlights the vital role that women play in society: the mothers who raised us, and the daughters who continue to bind families together. Women are a source of power and a symbol of progress. Indeed, they are the very fabric that weaves our great nation together.
The 3rd annual Soweto Kota Festival will take place on 7 and 8 September 2019, and SASKO, the experts in milling and baking, is proud to announce it has renewed its sponsorship for a third year.
Blowing the nose frequently, because of allergies, colds or flu, can leave the delicate skin around the nose and lips chapped, red and sore. Letibalm, formulated specifically to protect and care for the lips, nose and the skin in-between, now has an improved formula and there’s a new addition to the family – new Letibalm Junior Nose and Lips Repair Fluid.
KWV Brandy is proud to announce that it cinched another award in a major spirits competition.
Try these recipes
A shot of espresso enhances the chocolate flavour.
Panna Cotta is usually prepared as a dessert, but this recipe foregrounds the savoury, delicate flavours of asparagus and lightly smoked trout which pairs wonderfully with Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc. Recipe provided courtesy of Cathedral Cellar wines. (Serves 4).
A rich, savoury showstopper, perfect with a glass of wine, or as a light meal with well-dressed greens and succulent lamb chops.
A simple curry with the benefit of very little fat and fibre-rich chickpeas!