Chocolate Chilli Steak with Zucchini Noodles
Checkers - Jun 3rd, 10:23
Because sometimes we can't wait until dessert to get our chocolate fix...
1 tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
1 small onion; peeled and finely diced
1 garlic clove; peeled and minced
3 chillies; halved and deseeded
4 thyme sprigs; leaves only
1 cup (250 ml) beef stock
2 cups (500 ml) red wine
70 g 70% dark chocolate; roughly chopped
Salt and pepper
4 x 200 g Steakhouse Classic rump
350 g zucchini noodles; steamed
20 g fresh wild rocket
1. Heat olive oil in a pot and add the onion, garlic, chilli and thyme. Sauté for 5–8 min. or until the onions are translucent.
2. Add the beef stock and red wine and allow to simmer until reduced by two thirds, then strain and discard the solids.
3. Place the liquid into a clean pot set over low heat and whisk in the chocolate until the sauce is smooth and velvety. Remove and set aside.
4. Heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Drizzle the steak with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fry each steak to your preferred doneness and remove from pan. Allow to rest for 10 min. before slicing. Pour any resting juices from the meat into the sauce for added extra flavour.
5. Toss the wild rocket through the steamed zucchini noodles, season with a little salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
6. Serve steak with the zucchini noodles and the chocolate chilli sauce.
Click here for more Checkers recipes
Around the World, 17th June is observed as ‘Eat Your Vegetables Day’ and is one more opportunity to remind everyone that veggies are an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. They come in every shape and colour of the rainbow and everyone has their favourite! We can all agree that vegetables are versatile, can be added to any meal and are important for daily consumption as they’re a vital source of nutrients.
Chivas is shaking up the Scotch whisky category with the launch of Chivas XV - a 15-year-old blend that challenges conventions around how and when to enjoy Scotch whisky.
Bavaria, South Africa’s leading 0.0% beer brand, recently announced a three-year sponsorship deal with the prestigious Comrades Marathon. In order to celebrate the sponsorship announcement, Bavaria has created an emotional video celebrating Maurice Rosen, a veteran runner of the race who will be competing for his 36th Comrades finish this year – summing up the qualities of tradition, bravery, resilience and tenacity that the race is known for.
Fitch & Leedes, the authentic range of mixers, in collaboration with Bokeh Lifestyle and Fashion Film Festival are giving local filmmakers the chance to get their hands on R75 000.
Try these recipes
A delicious favourite gets a nutritious twist that’s guaranteed to keep your loved ones both happy and healthy. Serves 10.
Layers of chicken, red onion and mushroom in a creamy béchamel sauce. A super dish for entertaining or taking with you on holiday.
A rich and creamy baked cheesecake heaped with a deep red, fresh raspberry sauce.
Banters at your braai? This Steakhouse Classic picanha with broccoli and Asian dressing is a definite winner.