Mixed Mushroom Deep Dish Quiche
Checkers - Feb 5th, 09:54
This is not a cheap dish to make, but it is a spectacular meat-free recipe fit for a celebratory lunch or dinner.
2 packets shortcrust pastry; thawed
45 ml olive oil
30 ml butter
1 kg mixed mushrooms (brown, white button, portabellini)
3 cloves garlic; finely grated
1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper
200 g mature cheddar; grated
500 ml cream
6 extra-large eggs
1. Spray a loose bottom 20 cm cake tin with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Unroll the pastry and cut 7 cm wide strips for lining the side of the tin, and a circle for lining the bottom of the tin.
Carefully place the pastry inside the tin, slightly overlapping and pressing the seams to create a smooth join.
Prick with a fork on the bottom.
3. Line the inside with baking paper and fill with a layer of rice or beans.
Blind bake for 10 min, then remove the rice or beans and paper and bake for another 15 min.
Remove from the oven and turn down the oven temperature to 170°C.
4. While the pastry is baking, heat the oil and butter in a large pan and fry the mushrooms over high heat until they start to soften.
Add the garlic and thyme and continue to fry until they are cooked.
Remove from the heat and season well with salt and pepper.
5. In a mixing bowl, mix the cream and eggs well and season generously with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon half of the mushrooms into the prepared tin and then cover with half of the grated cheese.
Pour over half of the cream mixture and then repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
Bake for 1h15 at 170°C until golden on top and slightly wobbly in the middle.
Remove from the oven and leave to stand for at least 15 min. before slicing.
• The quiche needs about 20 min. to rest before it will be ready to slice, so plan ahead.
You can easily pre-bake it earlier, and reheat it in the oven with foil over the top before serving.Click here for more Checkers recipes
Bashew’s, the Cape’s iconic and cherished soft drink dating back to 1899, pays tribute to one of South Africa’s most popular comedy shows, Joe Barber.
For an incredible fourth year running, KWV has been awarded the Producer of the Year Trophy in the Brandy and Cognac category at the International Spirit Challenge (ISC).
Bolstered by the overall category growth, Vital Health Foods – Africa’s leading manufacturer of complementary medicines and health supplements (IRI Aztec 2018) – has launched their new premium scientifically-formulated Vital Health Science range; a suite of health products that have been expertly formulated with high quality raw materials obtained through a world-class sourcing process and subject to rigorous compliance testing in Vital Health Foods’ laboratory.
The simple sandwich - it’s more than just two slices of bread, it’s the memory of the person who made it for you, the moment you shared and the traditions that are passed on from generation to generation.
Try these recipes
Sit back and relax after dinner with a delicious home-made dom pedro. This cheeky whisky cocktail is easy to make and a sweet adults-only treat.
Outrageously rich and delicious.
With hearty lentils and gourmet mushrooms, you won’t even miss the meat in this vegetarian take on an Italian classic.
These spinach wraps are a great healthy summer starter or lunchtime snack for the whole family to enjoy.