Mixed Mushroom Deep Dish Quiche
Checkers - Feb 5th, 09:54
This is not a cheap dish to make, but it is a spectacular meat-free recipe fit for a celebratory lunch or dinner.
2 packets shortcrust pastry; thawed
45 ml olive oil
30 ml butter
1 kg mixed mushrooms (brown, white button, portabellini)
3 cloves garlic; finely grated
1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper
200 g mature cheddar; grated
500 ml cream
6 extra-large eggs
1. Spray a loose bottom 20 cm cake tin with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Unroll the pastry and cut 7 cm wide strips for lining the side of the tin, and a circle for lining the bottom of the tin.
Carefully place the pastry inside the tin, slightly overlapping and pressing the seams to create a smooth join.
Prick with a fork on the bottom.
3. Line the inside with baking paper and fill with a layer of rice or beans.
Blind bake for 10 min, then remove the rice or beans and paper and bake for another 15 min.
Remove from the oven and turn down the oven temperature to 170°C.
4. While the pastry is baking, heat the oil and butter in a large pan and fry the mushrooms over high heat until they start to soften.
Add the garlic and thyme and continue to fry until they are cooked.
Remove from the heat and season well with salt and pepper.
5. In a mixing bowl, mix the cream and eggs well and season generously with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon half of the mushrooms into the prepared tin and then cover with half of the grated cheese.
Pour over half of the cream mixture and then repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
Bake for 1h15 at 170°C until golden on top and slightly wobbly in the middle.
Remove from the oven and leave to stand for at least 15 min. before slicing.
• The quiche needs about 20 min. to rest before it will be ready to slice, so plan ahead.
You can easily pre-bake it earlier, and reheat it in the oven with foil over the top before serving.Click here for more Checkers recipes
Reflecting its commitment to tackling the supply chain skills crisis head on, SAPICS, The Professional Body for Supply Chain Management, recently hosted the 11th annual Supply Chain Management Education Excellence Awards. This event recognises individuals, organisations and educators who are going the extra mile to advance and develop the supply chain and operations management profession
Bull Brand, one of SA’s most iconic food brands, has launched a new bold ‘Inner Strength’ brand repositioning aimed at leveraging the heritage of the brand while finding new relevance for a broader audience.
DHL has appointed Jed Michaletos as Managing Director of DHL Express South Africa, effective from 14 January 2019. Michaletos is responsible for driving business growth for the company in South Africa, with a strong focus on enhancing customer experience, employee engagement and service quality.
Rhodes Food Group, producer of popular convenient baby and toddler food brand Squish, has launched an extended range to its Squish portfolio of 100% fruit and veg purees, and 100% fruit and veg pressed infant juices.
Try these recipes
You’ll go bananas for this delicious, easy and affordable dessert recipe. Go on, satisfy your coffee craving while relishing the classic combination of banana and ice cream. Try it today! Serves 6 Preparation: 5 min. Cooking: 2 hrs to freeze bananas.
Coconut plays perfectly with sweet, tart pomegranate.
Because sometimes we can’t wait until dessert to get our chocolate fix…
Perfect dessert for your Valentine's Day dinner in.