Mixed Mushroom Deep Dish Quiche
Checkers - Feb 5th, 09:54
This is not a cheap dish to make, but it is a spectacular meat-free recipe fit for a celebratory lunch or dinner.
2 packets shortcrust pastry; thawed
45 ml olive oil
30 ml butter
1 kg mixed mushrooms (brown, white button, portabellini)
3 cloves garlic; finely grated
1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper
200 g mature cheddar; grated
500 ml cream
6 extra-large eggs
1. Spray a loose bottom 20 cm cake tin with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Unroll the pastry and cut 7 cm wide strips for lining the side of the tin, and a circle for lining the bottom of the tin.
Carefully place the pastry inside the tin, slightly overlapping and pressing the seams to create a smooth join.
Prick with a fork on the bottom.
3. Line the inside with baking paper and fill with a layer of rice or beans.
Blind bake for 10 min, then remove the rice or beans and paper and bake for another 15 min.
Remove from the oven and turn down the oven temperature to 170°C.
4. While the pastry is baking, heat the oil and butter in a large pan and fry the mushrooms over high heat until they start to soften.
Add the garlic and thyme and continue to fry until they are cooked.
Remove from the heat and season well with salt and pepper.
5. In a mixing bowl, mix the cream and eggs well and season generously with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon half of the mushrooms into the prepared tin and then cover with half of the grated cheese.
Pour over half of the cream mixture and then repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
Bake for 1h15 at 170°C until golden on top and slightly wobbly in the middle.
Remove from the oven and leave to stand for at least 15 min. before slicing.
• The quiche needs about 20 min. to rest before it will be ready to slice, so plan ahead.
You can easily pre-bake it earlier, and reheat it in the oven with foil over the top before serving.Click here for more Checkers recipes
Fitch & Leedes, the superb range of authentic mixers from Chill Beverages International (PTY) Ltd preferred by most premium distillers, has launched a new 750ml glass collection perfect for stylish drinks on the patio with friends.
Discover new Chateau Del Rei sparkling wine in a can and turn the 18th annual South African Cheese Festival at Sandringham Estate near Stellenbosch into an instant celebration over the weekend of 26 – 28 April 2019.
DHL Express has announced the launch of its new mobile and desktop app aimed at improving the online shopping experience for Africa-based consumers.
KWV was revealed as one of the World’s Most Admired Brands in the annual The World’s Most Admired Wine Brands survey by Drinks International. Competing with the greatest names in the industry, KWV was ranked 45 out of 50, making it the highest placed brand from South Africa and one of only two South African brands to be featured in this global list.
Try these recipes
Cranberry jelly gives the sauce a sweet and sticky festive flavour.
The hunt for extraordinary begins at Checkers with this decadent Frey Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Trifle. With this easy recipe, you’ll amaze your guests and treat their taste buds to a mouth-watering, sweet and unique dessert in no time.
Who says Easter should be all about the eggs? Here’s how to stack on more flavour using the holiday’s go-to treat. (Makes 2 burgers)
These treats are delectable and brilliantly portable.