Nutty Espresso Rusks
Checkers - May 21st, 15:17
Nothing improves your afternoon coffee and a rusk like a little more coffee in your rusk. What can we say, we’re addicted!
2/5 cup (100 ml) Foreign Ground espresso, chilled
1 pkt (100 g) raw Padkos macadamia nuts, chopped
1 3/5 cup (400 ml) buttermilk
1 ½ cup (375 ml) sugar
1.25kg self-raising flour
Butter, for greasing
2 extra large eggs
1 tsp. (5 ml) salt
500 g butter
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease two loaf tins with butter.
2. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.
3. Rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs and stir in the sugar.
4. Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and espresso together. Add mixture to the dry ingredients, add the nuts and stir to combine.
5. Roll dough into 30 small balls and pack together in the greased bread tins, 15 in each tin.
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.
7. Separate rusks from each other and place in a single layer on baking trays.
8. Reduce oven temperature to 60C and place rusks in the oven to dry out for 4-6 hours.Click here for more Checkers recipes
As South Africa celebrates Women’s Month this August, Bavaria magnifies and highlights the vital role that women play in society: the mothers who raised us, and the daughters who continue to bind families together. Women are a source of power and a symbol of progress. Indeed, they are the very fabric that weaves our great nation together.
The 3rd annual Soweto Kota Festival will take place on 7 and 8 September 2019, and SASKO, the experts in milling and baking, is proud to announce it has renewed its sponsorship for a third year.
Blowing the nose frequently, because of allergies, colds or flu, can leave the delicate skin around the nose and lips chapped, red and sore. Letibalm, formulated specifically to protect and care for the lips, nose and the skin in-between, now has an improved formula and there’s a new addition to the family – new Letibalm Junior Nose and Lips Repair Fluid.
KWV Brandy is proud to announce that it cinched another award in a major spirits competition.
Try these recipes
A shot of espresso enhances the chocolate flavour.
Panna Cotta is usually prepared as a dessert, but this recipe foregrounds the savoury, delicate flavours of asparagus and lightly smoked trout which pairs wonderfully with Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc. Recipe provided courtesy of Cathedral Cellar wines. (Serves 4).
A rich, savoury showstopper, perfect with a glass of wine, or as a light meal with well-dressed greens and succulent lamb chops.
A simple curry with the benefit of very little fat and fibre-rich chickpeas!