Oh-So-Good, Creamy Tomato Soup
Clover - Jun 13th 2018, 10:28
As the wind gets colder and the nights get longer, we welcome the months of winter (not always by choice). It’s time to dust off the heaters, pull on some warm fuzzy socks, grab a blanket and indulge in a good book or a TV series you’ve wanted to watch for ages.
Sounds like the perfect winter night in, right? Now, let Clover make it tastier! At Clover, we have the perfect meal to compliment your snuggle-sesh, a creamy, warm and oh-so-good tomato soup! With the delicate blend of fresh tomatoes, slowly simmering in a delicious cream, to bring together a meal that will warm you and your soul from within. Much like winter brings the chills, Clover brings the trills, right to your taste buds!
The recipe is available in the Clover Economical Family Fare cookbook, which is filled with great, wholesome and truly South African recipes that will provide you with an omni-sensorial experience. The recipe book has in part been subsidised by Clover because we believe that good food and great memories shouldn’t be limited by price. Also, by purchasing the cookbook, you will be actively helping ladies around South Africa achieve their business dreams through the Clover Mama Afrika project.
The project aims at identifying women who are already agents of change in their communities and helps train them to become self-sustaining women with skills which then they can use to derive income from, in order to support orphaned and abused children and the elderly and infirm.
• 60 ml CLOVER Springbok butter
• 100 g bacon, cut into fine strips
• onion, chopped
• carrot, peeled and finely chopped
• celery stick, chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 80 ml cake flour
• 5 x 250 ml chicken stock
• x 410 g tins whole peeled tomatoes
• fresh parsley twigs
• fresh thyme twigs
• bay leaf
• 250 ml CLOVER cream
• Some salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat the butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan and add the bacon. Fry the bacon until it is crispy and the fat has been fried out. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on a paper towel. Keep aside.
2. Turn down the heat to medium and add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook the vegetable mix until tender and aromatic. Stir from time to time.
3. Stir in the flour, and cook for 3 minutes. Pour the chicken stock into the saucepan and mix well.
4. Pulp the tomatoes and add to the soup. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
5. Tie the parsley, thyme and bay leaf together with a piece of string and add to the soup.
6. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, let the soup cool down, and remove the herbs.
7. Pulp the soup in batches with a food processor or stick blender until smooth. Pour the soup back into the saucepan and heat slowly over medium heat.
8. Stir the cream into the soup, season to taste and serve immediately.
Click here for more information on Clover
For most people, the festive season symbolises a time to slow down, unwind, rest and recuperate in preparation for the coming year. However, In the true spirit of giving, the Mamas from Clover’s CSI project, Clover Mama Afrika, who collectively care for over 13 000 children and 1800 elderly people in their various communities, focused on giving back to the members of their communities.
Clover Mama Afrika, Clover’s CSI project, is proud to announce the appointment of Gail Koeberg who runs the Quegal Restoration & Refuge Centre in Magaliesig, Gauteng. Gail Koeberg joins the 44 appointed Mamas who collectively care for almost 13000 children and nearly 1 800 elderly people, many of which are abused, orphaned, homeless and vulnerable.
Clover Mama Afrika, Clover’s CSI project, celebrates its 14th birthday this October. As we celebrate this milestone, we look back at some of the success stories that have resulted in Clover Mama Afrika becoming the most recognised corporate social investment project in South Africa, with a total of 22 awards under its name, which include the prestigious Trialogue Strategic CSI Award.
Clover Mama Afrika, Clover’s CSI project, together with their valuable supplier MiX Telematics, a leading global provider of fleet and mobile asset management solutions, have once again showed their support by assisting a Clover Mama Afrika.
Try these recipes
Clover shares their CREAMY PEA SOUP recipe from the Clover Economical Family Fare cook book to help warm up your day.
Chicken Satay Skewers: Flatten the chicken breasts and cut each fillet into long thin strips and place in a non-metallic bowl.
Brush the asparagus spears with the butter and season with salt and pepper. Grill on a hot braai or in a griddle pan for 2-3 minutes per side, turning frequently. Place onto a serving platter.
Place the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, cumin and nigella seeds into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.