Steal the show with delicious thyme chicken paired with Drostdy-Hof Wine
Issued by DKC on behalf of Drostdy-Hof Wine - Nov 9th 2015, 12:19
Tired of the usual overdone tried and tested? Then zest things up a bit and transform the usual grilled chicken dinner into something new with this recipe from country chef Johan van Schalkwyk that transforms everyday chicken into something new and exciting, especially when paired with his three-bean and apple salad.
To impress even more, pair the chicken with Drostdy-Hof Premier Grand Cru, a wine with an attractive perfumed bouquet of citrus aromas that perfectly complement the herbaceous flavours of the dish.
Recipe for grilled thyme chicken with three-bean and apple salad, served with Drostdy-Hof Premier Grand Cru
4 chicken breasts with the skin on (preferably free-range)
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
20ml olive oil
100g green beans, blanched and cooled
100g butterbeans, cooked as per the instructions on the packet or use tinned, drained beans
100g red kidney beans, cooked as per the instructions on the packet or use tinned, drained beans
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and julienned
100g fresh rocket
50g spring onion, sliced
50ml verjuice (or apple cider vinegar)
50ml olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
30ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
To make the dressing
• Place all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until well blended.
To make the salad
• Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
To make the chicken
• Form a pocket in the skin by sliding a finger in between the chicken and the skin. Repeat with all the breasts.
• Divide the butter into 4 portions and place in each of the pockets with a sprig of thyme.
• Rub each chicken breast with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
• Grill the chicken breasts over medium hot coals for 5 minutes on each side. Repeat the process until the chicken is cooked (this depends on the size of the meat, but should take about 15 minutes – to check, slice one open to see whether it is cooked through).
• Alternatively, the chicken can be cooked in a pan on a stove instead. Heat some olive oil and a knob of butter in a pan over medium heat.
• Add two sprigs of thyme to the pan before adding the chicken.
• Fry for 5 minutes on each side and repeat until the chicken is cooked.
• Cover with foil and allow the chicken breast to rest for 2 minutes.
• Remove the skin and thyme then slice the chicken into strips of about 1cm.
• Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
• Assemble the dish by placing the chicken on the dressed salad.
• Serve with a chilled glass of Drostdy-Hof Premier Grand Cru.
Visit www.drostdyhof.com/za for more on the brand.
Follow Drostdy-Hof on Facebook and Twitter.
Join the conversation using: #RealWineRealMomentsClick here for more information on Drostdy-Hof Wines
Nederburg’s Heritage Heroes The Motorcycle Marvel 2016 has been announced the winner of the “best wine from South Africa” trophy at the 10th annual Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Wine & Spirit Competition. It also earned a gold award.
The Nederburg winery near Paarl achieved a combined total of 41 medals at the recent 2018 Veritas Awards and 2018 Michelangelo International Wine & Spirits Awards. The accolades were awarded at two glitzy ceremonies held in Cape Town.
South Africa’s national team of top wine tasters, comprising wine lovers from across the country who qualified via the South African Wine Tasting Championships (SAWTC) earlier this year, will be departing African shores at this end of this week to compete in the World Blind Tasting Championship (WBTC) in Bezier, Languedoc, in France, on 13 October.
Nederburg achieved two gold medals at the International Wine & Spirit Competition (IWSC) in the UK, for its 2015 Private Bin R163 Cabernet Sauvignon and 2017 The Winemasters Noble Late Harvest.
Try these recipes
Warm up this winter while the sun's away with Place in the Sun Merlot. Its bright fresh berry tastes with a hint of oak respond deliciously to some traditional Glühwein spicing. Heart-warming to drink, the wine offers the added bonus of doing good for others.
While rugby gees at the stadium or pub is always exciting, sometimes the winter cold makes us want to curl up and stay indoors! Drostdy Hof invites you to make the most of the moment in your own home when South Africa takes on Ireland this June 11.
Fairtrade-accredited Place in the Sun wines are kind to the earth and to the people who harvest the grapes. To earn the certification, grapes have to be cultivated according to eco-friendly principles. Place in the Sun also pays a premium for the fruit. The money is used to support health, nutritional, educational and recreational projects decided on by the farm workers involved.
Red meat and red wine is a classic pairing for a reason! The tannins in reds bond with and soften the protein of the meat, bringing out its savoury flavours and juiciness.
Cape wine production set to be low after 3-year drought
07/02/2019 - 19:19
The Cape's three-year drought has taken its toll on the wine industry and early indications are that this year's harvest will be even lower than the poor 2018 harvest.
Value of wine exports up despite drought in Western Cape
28/01/2019 - 09:41
The value of wine exports grew by 4% in 2018, despite a difficult season and a long-term trend of producers dwindling.
Distell: Chateau gets a wider roof
28/01/2019 - 08:41
Distell creates new Libertas Vineyards structure that will focus on its premium wines — including some old favourites.
Organic wine market growing fast but to remain niche: study
17/12/2018 - 17:21
The market for organic wine will grow rapidly in the next five years as environmentally-conscious consumers increasingly favour pesticide-free wines, but their market share will remain relatively small globally, a study showed.
Cape Winemakers Guild swells its ranks with two new members
13/12/2018 - 07:58
The prestigious Cape Winemakers Guild has two new members with the induction of JD Pretorius and Samantha O’Keefe into this respected league of masters in the art of winemaking.