Advertise with fastmoving.co.za
 
 

AB InBev bets on renewables for future energy
AB InBev bets on renewables for future energy

AB InBev bets on renewables for future energy

LIQUOR NEWS

By Ann Crotty - Mar 29th 2017, 09:19

The move will make the beer group the largest corporate direct purchaser of renewable energy in the global consumer goods sector 

Anheuser-Busch InBev (AB InBev), the largest beer group in the world, has committed itself to secure 100% of its purchased electricity from renewable sources within eight years. On Tuesday the group, which controls about one-third of the global beer market, said the commitment will shift 6 terawatt-hours of electricity annually to renewable sources in the markets where AB InBev is operating.

The move will make the beer group the largest corporate direct purchaser of renewable energy in the global consumer goods sector. It will have the same effect as removing 500,000 cars from the roads.

"Climate change has profound implications for our company and for the communities where we work," said AB InBev CEO Carlos Brito.

"Cutting back on fossil fuels is good for the environment and good for business and we are committed to helping drive positive change."

AB InBev’s plan is to secure 75%-85% of electricity through direct power purchasing agreements. The remaining 15%-25% will come mainly from onsite technologies such as solar panels. At this stage, there appears to be no major renewable plans for SA.

Through Belgian beer brand Stella Artois the group is also driving a water-related conservation programme with Water. org, founded by US actor Matt Damon. The partnership aims to help bring clean water to more than 3.5-million people in the developing world.© BusinessLIVE MMXVII 

Read more about: renewable energy | ab inbev

Related News

Heineken acquires £40m stake in British beer brand Beavertown
22/06/2018 - 09:43
London-based craft brewer Beavertown Brewery has sold a minority stake in its business to Heineken, providing a £40 million cash injection to build a new site.

AB InBev increases beer volumes in SA and Africa
23/05/2018 - 11:06
Sitting outside the ramshackle Vimba Tavern in Alexandra, Patrick Mashego swigs from a one-litre bottle of Carling Black Label, SA’s most popular beer. Rolled out by Anheuser-Busch InBev (AB InBev) across the country this year, the larger bottles are part of a plan by the world’s biggest brewer to lure price-conscious South Africans to its mid-market beers and away from bargain rivals or homebrews.

AB InBev jumps 3% in intraday trading on improved growth prospects
11/05/2018 - 08:50
The share price has fallen more than 25% since the SABMiller merger.

Liberate economic development for renewable energy companies
24/04/2018 - 08:45
With government refreshing its drive to build renewable energy capacity, it’s time for these respective companies in the industry to renew their focus on economic development outputs. Licenses were first issued in 2011 and the communities around these plants are growing. With the sector being revitalised, now is the time to review lessons learned and make some strategic decisions where necessary.

AB InBev launches Bud Light orange to boost citrus beer offer
10/04/2018 - 08:29
AB InBev has launched an orange flavour of its Bud Light beer in the US as it aims to profit from the popularity of flavoured lagers.