The best wines in South Africa
BusinessTech.co.za - Jun 25th 2015, 13:13
The South African Wine Index (SAWi) has released its ranking of the top wine producers in South Africa, and the leading brand in each wine category.
The SAWi compares and condenses results from 84 multinational competitions, reviews and listings, and acknowledges the nature of the competition and additional accolades bestowed on a wine, expressing all the data as a single number out of 100.
“Through SAWi’s Mathematical algorithm patterns are recognized making it easy to distinguish wines which are consistently accepted as exceptional. Most importantly, it allows a comparison of like with like,” the group said.
The overall SAWi Index sat at 87.4 in the 2015 listing, down from 88.1 in 2014.
Using a score of 93 as the benchmark, wines scoring above that are considered part of the “Grand Collection’. All winners are in this category.
Of the 585 wineries considered, the SAWi ‘Grand¬ Wines Collection’ currently includes only 197 wines, representing 89 wineries.
For the second time in five years, Saronsberg Cellar took the top honours at the awards. In 2010, the cellar first received the trophy for winery of the year before having won the trophy for best red wine producer in 2013.
These are South Africa’s 10 best wine producers (average scores for top three white & red wines):
1. Saronsberg Cellar (98.09)
2. Bouchard Finlayson (96.42)
3. Jordan Wine Estate (96.29)
4. Hamilton Russell Vineyards (96.25)
5. KWV Mentors Range (95.48)
6. Rustenberg Wines (95.47)
7. Rijks Private Cellar (95.21)
8. Groot Constantia Estate (95.10)
9. Constantia Glen (95.08)
10. Spier (95.02)
Top SA wines:
1. Bordeaux Blend; Kanonkop Estate Paul Sauer Cabernet Cab Franc Merlot
2. Brandy (shared accolades); KWV 20 Year Old Brandy, Laborie Alambic Brandy, and Van Ryn’s 12 Year Old Brandy
3. Cabernet Sauvignon; Le Riche Wines Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
4. Cape Port; De Krans Cape Tawny Port
5. Chardonnay; Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay
6. Chenin Blanc; Stellenrust 49 Chenin Blanc Barrel Fermented
7. Dessert Wine; Paul Cluver Estate Wines Riesling Noble Late Harvest
8. Fortified Wine; KWV Vintage White Jerepigo
9. Merlot; Veenwouden Private Cellar Merlot
10. Méthode Cap Classique; Pongracz Desiderius Pinot Noir Chardonnay
11. Pinotage; Rijk’s Reserve Pinotage
12. Pinot Noir; Bouchard Finlayson Galpin Peak Pinot Noir
13. Red Blend (other); Bouchard Finlayson Hannibal Sangiovese Pinot Noir
14. Rhone Blend; Saronsberg Cellar Full Circle Shiraz and Mourvedre Viognier
15. Sauvignon Blanc; Kleine Zalze Wines Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc
16. Semillon; Ghost Corner Semillon
17. Shiraz; Cederberg Private Cellar Teen Die Hoog Shiraz
18. Sweet Wine; Klein Constantia Vin de Constance
19. Viognier; Saronsberg Cellar ViognierFrom 2015 Copyright, BusinessTech. All right reserved.
Cannabis ‘poses long-term risk’ to US alcohol industry
26/02/2019 - 08:52
Increased cannabis consumption in the US “poses a long-term risk” to the alcoholic beverage industry, according to new research from the IWSR and BDS Analytics.
Distell selects WPP as its global partner agency
25/02/2019 - 15:37
Alcoholic beverages company Distell has selected WPP as its global partner agency.
Cape wine production set to be low after 3-year drought
07/02/2019 - 19:19
The Cape's three-year drought has taken its toll on the wine industry and early indications are that this year's harvest will be even lower than the poor 2018 harvest.
Police destroy 148 000 litres of confiscated liquor
29/01/2019 - 10:36
The Police Ministry oversaw the destruction of more than 148 000 litres of confiscated alcohol, one of the main contributors to crime, especially over the festive season, it said.
Value of wine exports up despite drought in Western Cape
28/01/2019 - 09:41
The value of wine exports grew by 4% in 2018, despite a difficult season and a long-term trend of producers dwindling.