The best wines in South Africa
BusinessTech.co.za - Jun 25th 2015, 13:13
The South African Wine Index (SAWi) has released its ranking of the top wine producers in South Africa, and the leading brand in each wine category.
The SAWi compares and condenses results from 84 multinational competitions, reviews and listings, and acknowledges the nature of the competition and additional accolades bestowed on a wine, expressing all the data as a single number out of 100.
“Through SAWi’s Mathematical algorithm patterns are recognized making it easy to distinguish wines which are consistently accepted as exceptional. Most importantly, it allows a comparison of like with like,” the group said.
The overall SAWi Index sat at 87.4 in the 2015 listing, down from 88.1 in 2014.
Using a score of 93 as the benchmark, wines scoring above that are considered part of the “Grand Collection’. All winners are in this category.
Of the 585 wineries considered, the SAWi ‘Grand¬ Wines Collection’ currently includes only 197 wines, representing 89 wineries.
For the second time in five years, Saronsberg Cellar took the top honours at the awards. In 2010, the cellar first received the trophy for winery of the year before having won the trophy for best red wine producer in 2013.
These are South Africa’s 10 best wine producers (average scores for top three white & red wines):
1. Saronsberg Cellar (98.09)
2. Bouchard Finlayson (96.42)
3. Jordan Wine Estate (96.29)
4. Hamilton Russell Vineyards (96.25)
5. KWV Mentors Range (95.48)
6. Rustenberg Wines (95.47)
7. Rijks Private Cellar (95.21)
8. Groot Constantia Estate (95.10)
9. Constantia Glen (95.08)
10. Spier (95.02)
Top SA wines:
1. Bordeaux Blend; Kanonkop Estate Paul Sauer Cabernet Cab Franc Merlot
2. Brandy (shared accolades); KWV 20 Year Old Brandy, Laborie Alambic Brandy, and Van Ryn’s 12 Year Old Brandy
3. Cabernet Sauvignon; Le Riche Wines Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
4. Cape Port; De Krans Cape Tawny Port
5. Chardonnay; Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay
6. Chenin Blanc; Stellenrust 49 Chenin Blanc Barrel Fermented
7. Dessert Wine; Paul Cluver Estate Wines Riesling Noble Late Harvest
8. Fortified Wine; KWV Vintage White Jerepigo
9. Merlot; Veenwouden Private Cellar Merlot
10. Méthode Cap Classique; Pongracz Desiderius Pinot Noir Chardonnay
11. Pinotage; Rijk’s Reserve Pinotage
12. Pinot Noir; Bouchard Finlayson Galpin Peak Pinot Noir
13. Red Blend (other); Bouchard Finlayson Hannibal Sangiovese Pinot Noir
14. Rhone Blend; Saronsberg Cellar Full Circle Shiraz and Mourvedre Viognier
15. Sauvignon Blanc; Kleine Zalze Wines Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc
16. Semillon; Ghost Corner Semillon
17. Shiraz; Cederberg Private Cellar Teen Die Hoog Shiraz
18. Sweet Wine; Klein Constantia Vin de Constance
19. Viognier; Saronsberg Cellar ViognierFrom 2015 Copyright, BusinessTech. All right reserved.
SA loses R6-billion + in revenue to illicit alcohol trade
15/11/2018 - 14:03
The South African economy suffered a fiscal loss of R6.4-billion (USD$492-million) in 2017 due to illicit alcohol activities, which generates an annual revenue of R12.9bn and goes unregulated.
Distell share price sinks on lower sales
25/10/2018 - 08:05
The share price of Distell Group, maker of Klipdrift brandies, Three Ships whiskies and Nederburg wines, fell 4.1% to R104.58 after the company said sales had fallen in the September quarter.
SA signs wine labelling protocol
23/10/2018 - 10:28
The Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Senzeni Zokwana, has signed protocol on labelling wine.
Johnnie Walker creates 50-year-aged Masters’ Edition whisky
22/10/2018 - 08:52
Johnnie Walker has created a limited-edition, 50-year-aged, triple-matured scotch whisky called the Johnnie Walker Masters’ Edition.
Pernod Ricard sales up 10% on demand from China and India
18/10/2018 - 14:09
Spirits group Pernod Ricard posted a stronger-than-expected 10.4% rise in first-quarter underlying sales, helped by higher demand in China and India, and despite slower growth in its main market in the US.