Cell C on why it went to court over billboard
BusinessTech.co.za - Nov 11th 2014, 09:41
Cell C says that it needed to take legal action to remove a billboard because it contained personal details of one of their employees, and because the billboard was defamatory.
On Thursday, 6 November 2014, a billboard with the message “Cell C The most useless service provider in SA – Cell C Sandton City” was erected outside the World Wear shopping centre on Beyers Naude Drive.
Shortly after the billboard went up Cell C served the person who commissioned the billboard and the World Wear shopping center with letters of demand to have it removed.
These letters were ignored, and Cell C then launched an urgent court application to have the billboard taken down.
Cell C explained that it was compelled to take such action because the billboard “contains the personal contact details of one of our valued employees”.
Cell C also argues in its court application that the billboard is defamatory, makes unauthorised use of its trademark, and appears to have been put up in contravention of the law.
The case was set to be heard on Monday 10 November, but the court moved the matter to Wednesday 12 November to afford the other parties time to respond.
Changes to billboard
On Saturday morning, 8 November, the 20m x 5m anti-Cell C billboard was changed. All the Cell C branding was removed using black tape, while the negative messages remained.
MyBroadband spoke to the people who made the changes and they informed us that legal issues regarding the use of Cell C’s branding were behind the changes.
MyBroadband contacted Beverley, who previously claimed responsibility for the billboard on behalf of “her boss” during a Radio 702 interview. Beverly is linked to the administration of the World Wear shopping centre.
However, Beverly said on Monday morning that she was merely “a person answering the phone”, and would not provide any information about the case.From 2014 Copyright, BusinessTech. All right reserved.
Lewis Group flags profit drop as sales slow
17/05/2016 - 08:39
Johannesburg - The Lewis Group expects a drop in full-year profit of up to 29% after sales slowed in the second half of its trading period due to a weak economy, the company said on Monday (16 May).
Sunday Times maintains position as SA’s most read newspaper with 3.7M readers
25/04/2016 - 11:16
Johannesburg - In the latest and final AMPS survey conducted for the publishing industry, core titles in the Times Media stable have continued to grow their audiences despite the -3.6% overall drop in newspaper readership in South Africa.
Clicks sees earnings rise on resilient markets
22/04/2016 - 09:16
Johannesburg - Clicks [JSE:CLS] forecast higher earnings this year, citing expectations that demand for its products will remain resilient despite a weakening outlook for consumer spending.
SA wins quarantine approval for Indonesia
15/04/2016 - 10:12
Johannesburg - South Africa won quarantine approval to sell more deciduous fruits and nuts to Indonesia, increasing the export potential for its produce to the world’s fourth most-populous nation, industry body Hortgro said.
‘SA’s blackouts curbed by slowdown, not Eskom’
15/03/2016 - 08:23
Johannesburg - After power cuts that crippled economic growth, South Africa has kept the lights on for more than six months and outages may not return in the next few years.