Advertise with fastmoving.co.za
 
 

World's biggest banana firm formed
World's biggest banana firm formed

World's biggest banana firm formed

FMCG SUPPLIER NEWS

Fin24/ Reuters - Mar 12th 2014, 11:21

Dublin - US fruit firm Chiquita Brands and Irish rival Fyffes, Europe's largest distributor, have struck an all-stock merger deal to create the world's biggest banana supplier. 

The global banana market is controlled by four multinationals, according to the United Nations: Chiquita, Fresh Del Monte, Hawaii-founded Dole Food Company and Fyffes.

With this $526m deal the new firm, ChiquitaFyffes, will grab about 14% market share and $4.6bn in annual revenues.

"The first three (companies) on a global scale are not too far away from each other, whereas Fyffes was a good deal smaller. Now a firm number one has been created, there will be some impetus for further consolidation in the sector," said David Holohan, an analyst at Merrion Stockbrokers in Dublin.

Chiquita and Fyffes sell 180 million boxes of bananas a year between them, versus 117 million for Del Monte and 110 for Dole.

Their merger is expected to generate operational pre-tax savings of at least $40m by the end of 2016.

The deal will be subject to review by competition authorities but, Holahan added, is unlikely to prompt burdensome regulatory demands because the two companies operate mainly in separate North American and European markets.

"I don't think competition is too big an issue with it," he said. "If Europe did require disposals, I don't think it would be a problem."

ChiquitaFyffes will have a market value of $1.1bn, with Chiquita shareholders owning about 50.7% of the combined company and Fyffes shareholders the remaining 49.3%, the companies said.

Fyffes shares leaped nearly 30% on Monday, bringing the shares, which had traded at about 10 times earnings prior to the announcement, roughly into line with its peers.

Chiquita shareholders will get one share of the new company for each share held. Fyffes investors will get 0.1567 of a share in the new group for each existing share, which values it at a premium of 38% over its Friday's closing price.

ChiquitaFyffes will be listed in New York, but domiciled in Ireland, bringing tax savings similar to US drugmaker Perrigo's acquisition of Elan last year.

Goldman Sachs and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC acted as financial advisers for Chiquita and its board and Lazard for Fyffes.
From Fin24.com  

Related News

Avocado industry should focus on Chinese market, says Agbiz
13/05/2019 - 09:57
The chamber said the increased exports are a major boost to the government's policy ambition of achieving export-led growth in agriculture.

SA set to remain a net importer of wheat
09/05/2019 - 10:22
Despite improvements in production, the country will not be able to meet demand and imports could keep driving up food inflation.

Pernod Ricard launches its 2030 Sustainability & Responsibility Roadmap
05/04/2019 - 13:31
Pernod Ricard launches today its 2030 Sustainability & Responsibility roadmap as part of the Group’s strategic plan Transform & Accelerate. This roadmap, unveiled at the Martell Cognac distillery in France sets out 8 ambitious and concrete 2030 targets supporting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).The Group is taking bold next steps in addressing both environmental topics, to preserve the terroirs its products come from, and social responsibility, in particular by accelerating the fight against alcohol misuse.

Major food and drink firms aim to improve plastic recycling in Africa
02/04/2019 - 10:02
Diageo, Unilever, The Coca Cola Company and Nestlé have joined forces to improve the collection and recycling of plastics in Africa.

Agriculture's important contribution to SA economy
26/03/2019 - 10:17
The South African agricultural industry might be seen by some as simply another role player in the economy, but our farmers cannot be thanked enough for the absolutely necessary work they are doing.