Asparagus Panna Cotta with Pancetta and Smoked Trout
Checkers - Jul 31st, 14:50
Panna Cotta is usually prepared as a dessert, but this recipe foregrounds the savoury, delicate flavours of asparagus and lightly smoked trout which pairs wonderfully with Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc. Recipe provided courtesy of Cathedral Cellar wines. (Serves 4).
For the panna cotta, you’ll need:
50g fresh asparagus; blanched
1 handful of English spinach; washed and dried
Half an onion; chopped
3 garlic cloves; chopped
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. chicken stock powder
100ml fresh cream
200ml crème fraîche
200ml double cream yoghurt
10g (1 sachet) gelatine powder; sponged in 50ml water
Salt and pepper to taste
For the smoked ocean trout, you’ll need:
1 whole fresh ocean trout; cleaned
1 pack oak barrel shavings
Salt and pepper to taste
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
For the panna cotta:
• Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil on low heat until well cooked.
• Add the chicken stock and the cream, and bring to a boil.
• Place the whole mix with the spinach and asparagus in a jug blender and blend until smooth.
• Pour through a sieve into a bowl and add the crème fraîche and double cream yoghurt. Mix well and season to taste.
• Melt the sponged gelatine in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds and add to the asparagus mix.
• Mix well so that there are no lumps.
• Pour the mix into dariole moulds or any other preferred mould and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
For the smoked ocean trout:
• Make a small fire in your braai (we use a Weber) with charcoal and leave it until it is nice and warm.
• Place a piece of heavy-duty foil on the grid. Place the whole fish on the foil and cover with a lid or more foil.
• Leave on the braai for approx. 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked but not dry.
• Take the fish off the grid and let it cool until you can remove the skin.
• Flake the fish and remove any small bones. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Add the lemon zest and juice for extra flavour.
• Unmould the panna cotta with some warm water on a platter or on individual plates.
• Serve with pan-fried pancetta, blanched asparagus and the smoked ocean trout.
Pairs perfectly with Cathedral Cellar Sauvignon Blanc.
Click here for more Checkers recipes
Chill Beverages International (PTY) Ltd is right on-trend making coral, the 2019 Pantone colour of the year, the go-to shade this summer with new Fitch & Leedes Grapefruit Tonic.
In October, a limited-edition Red Bull® Energy Drink can, along with an exciting consumer competition, hits shelves in celebration of 2016 Moto3 champion Brad Binder’s ascension to MotoGP™ for the 2020 season.
Leo Burnett tells the Kellogg’s story of improved nutrition for busier, modern-day children.
As the undisputed leader in the South African Beans category, KOO believes in setting the trend by introducing carefully researched, flavour-packed variants to its sizeable canned Beans range.
Try these recipes
A wonderfully rich fudge that can be made in one bowl in the microwave. Package attractively and give to your loved ones as special Christmas Gifts from your kitchen.
Presenting a proudly South African side with sweet and savoury accents.
A refreshing citrus salad to accompany that braai meat, or even to turn into a meat-free main dish for any lover of tangy blue cheese.
Delicate layers of phyllo pastry, nuts, honey, and butter all come together to make this delicate, classic Greek dessert.