Blue Cheese & Citrus Salad
Checkers - Sep 10th, 10:20
A refreshing citrus salad to accompany that braai meat, or even to turn into a meat-free main dish for any lover of tangy blue cheese.
2 red navels (Cara Cara/blood orange); peeled and sliced
Handful of rocket leaves
1 punnet mangetout
½ cup walnuts
100 g blue cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. Gently toast the walnuts for 5 min. or until slightly oily and deepened in flavour.
3. Allow cooling.
4. Blanch the mangetout in boiled water until electric green in colour, then immediately submerge in iced water to stop the cooking process. This helps to retain the lovely colour and crunchy texture.
5. To assemble the salad, combine the orange slices, rocket leaves, mangetout and walnuts.
6. Season, toss with olive oil and lemon juice and top the salad with crumbled blue cheese.
7. Serve.Click here for more Checkers recipes
The 3rd annual Soweto Kota Festival took place on 7 and 8 September 2019, and SASKO, the experts in milling and baking, was there as the headline sponsor again.
In celebrating cool climate winemaking, Durbanville Hills has launched a Sparkling Rosé. The sophisticated and stylish sparkling wine is the second bubbly launched by this dynamic cellar which overlooks Table Mountain and Table Bay.
Twizza, a truly authentic South African soft-drinks brand, has launched two delicious, local limited-edition flavours: Baobab and Ginger Cola.
Keep cool this summer with Mzansi’s coolest candy brand. Halls is stepping up to make your days a breeze with their range of fruity flavours to keep you extra cool and refreshed all through the season.
Try these recipes
With 124 years of South African heritage, SAB has played an integral role in the social fabric of the country – and there’s not much more social than a braai on Heritage Day.
Rusks are always a winner, especially when dipped in tea or coffee. While South Africans around the world yearn for the well-known South African boxed rusks, there’s something special about home-made rusks.
Cook the halloumi just before serving to prevent a rubbery texture.
It’s the perfect sweet treat to any meal. Serves: 4