On-pack trends: Augmented reality enabled packaging
Issued by Pyrotec - Jan 17th, 10:34
In theory, augmented reality (AR) could allow product owners and marketers to add a virtual layer of communication and promotional messaging to their brand packaging.
Wondering about the difference between augmented reality and virtual reality?
• Augmented reality (AR) is technology that adds an extra layer of digital content to your view of the real world when observed through a device that is AR-enabled (such as a smartphone with the relevant app or inbuilt capabilities). Pokémon Go is a well-known example of augmented reality – offered in the form of a free-to-play game.
• Virtual reality (VR), on the other hand, creates an entirely new three-dimensional digital environment and then immerses the viewer in this environment through a VR device.
As smartphones grow more sophisticated, the mainstream potential of AR is growing (for example, the new iPhone X has in-built AR technologies). When viewed through a mobile device with AR capabilities, product packaging could carry an interactive digital overlay that could bring products to life and enable the consumer to gain an entirely new perspective on the product.
Marketers could supplement consumers’ view of the real world with digital content, with the aim of:
• Entertaining and delighting them
• Informing them about the product or service in an exciting new way
• Helping them to visualise the product in their environment or in a new way before buying it
• Promoting competitions and special offers
• Introducing new product variants
• Suggesting new ways to use the product
While some brands are already using AR-enabled packaging and marketing material, this technology is still developing; and it may take some time for consumers to understand the value of this on-pack communication approach – and readily accept it.
Until then, it is worth keeping an eye on developments in the AR field and other new digital technologies that could take packaging and on-pack communication by storm in 2018 and beyond. Pyrotec PackMedia will keep you updated.
Click here for more information on Pyrotec
Iconic South African wine and spirits company, KWV, returned to the country’s prestigious Veritas Wine Awards with a shining performance, securing no less than 8 Double Gold and 12 Gold medals overall for its wines and spirits – making it one of the top-performing company’s on the evening.
Scottish Leader, one of South Africa’s favourite whisky brands, has released a limited-edition gift pack in collaboration with the popular I See A Different You creative duo, Innocent Mukheli and Vuyo Mpantsha.
The Sunday Times Lifestyle Gin Awards in partnership with Makro and Fitch & Leedes is proud to celebrate the creators and retailers of locally and internationally crafted gins and variants, with the top 4 local, and top 4 international finalists having been announced. Blind-tasting opportunities around the country will allowing South Africans to taste and vote for their favourites.
Try these recipes
This is the big and beautiful brownie cookie of your dreams!
A summery dish, perfect for serving at a party.
A decadent way to end a dinner party.
This fruity curry and rice recipe can be enjoyed in many ways! Serve it for supper in large bowls at the dinner table or enjoy it wrapped in a delicious roti for an easy to eat, on the go meal. Have it your way!