Stout Welsh Rarebit
Nov 15th 2016, 11:00
Top South African food stylist and Drizzle and Dip blogger, Sam Linsell has transformed what essentially is an open grilled cheese sandwich into a mouth-watering cuisine
Sam Linsell, top South African food stylist and Drizzle and Dip blogger – has done it again with beer, this time creating a triple ginger and stout cake with a stout butterscotch sauce.
Once you taste Welsh rarebit with stout you won’t want it any other way. If you’ve never had Welsh rarebit before, now is a good time to start.
This dish, which historically comes from Wales and originally named Welsh Rabbit, was what the coal miners ate when they couldn’t afford meat. I personally would have preferred this anyway as its utterly delicious and loaded with wonderful Cheddar. It’s essentially an open grilled cheese sandwich made from a béchamel leaning towards croque monsieur territory. I added a rasher of fried back bacon to couple of these molten cheese slices and it took it to next level awesome. If you are not a vegetarian, I would highly recommend doing this too.
For those who would like to try it at home, see the recipe below.
It can also be found on www.castlemilkstout.co.za
• 25gm butter
• 25gms flour
• ½ cup Castle Milk Stout
• ¼ cup milk
• 1tsp Dijon or English mustard
• 1Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 125gm good quality mature Cheddar
• Touch of freshly ground white or black pepper
• Chives to garnish (optional)
• Back bacon rashers, lightly fried (optional)
• 4 – 6 slices of bread – depending on how big they are
• butter to taste the bread
• Heat a griddle pan to hot and butter the bread on both sides. Fry the slices on each side and fry your bacon lightly if you are using.
• Heat up your grill and set your oven rack about a quarter of the way down.
• Make your sauce by melting the butter in a small to medium sized heavy based pot and add the flour. Cook until you have a dry paste over a low heat. Add the stout in parts whisking all the time. Add the milk, mustard, Worsteshire sauce and whisk while cooking for a few minutes until you have a thick sauce.
• Place your toasted bread on an oven tray and top with a slice of bacon. Divide the sauce amongst the slices of bread ensuring you have a fairly generous layer and smooth it to over the surface.
• Place under the grill and cook until bubbling.
Bull Brand, one of SA’s most iconic food brands, has launched a new bold ‘Inner Strength’ brand repositioning aimed at leveraging the heritage of the brand while finding new relevance for a broader audience.
DHL has appointed Jed Michaletos as Managing Director of DHL Express South Africa, effective from 14 January 2019. Michaletos is responsible for driving business growth for the company in South Africa, with a strong focus on enhancing customer experience, employee engagement and service quality.
Rhodes Food Group, producer of popular convenient baby and toddler food brand Squish, has launched an extended range to its Squish portfolio of 100% fruit and veg purees, and 100% fruit and veg pressed infant juices.
Hansa Golden Crisp, a bespoke beer designed for unisex appeal, has been launched by The South African Breweries.
Try these recipes
Because sometimes we can’t wait until dessert to get our chocolate fix…
Perfect dessert for your Valentine's Day dinner in.
This is not a cheap dish to make, but it is a spectacular meat-free recipe fit for a celebratory lunch or dinner.
SA food and non-alcoholic beverages inflation unchanged
20/12/2018 - 15:33
South Africa’s food and non-alcoholic beverages inflation has bottomed out and will begin an upward cycle in the coming months, supported by an increase in agricultural commodities prices. The headline number will probably increase marginally as we expect the uptick in cattle and sheep slaughtering activity to contain meat price inflation at fairly lower levels in the near term which will, in turn, influence the overall increase.
Unilever among firms calling for net zero UK emissions by 2050
28/11/2018 - 09:04
Unilever, Danone and Coca-Cola European Partners (CCEP) are among companies which have urged the UK to aim for net zero emissions by 2050.
Sugar content in UK yoghurts “well above” recommended levels
02/10/2018 - 08:33
The sugar content of the majority of yoghurts sold in the UK is “well above” recommended sugar levels, according to research conducted by online journal BMJ Open.
Dr. Oetker acquires cake decorating company Wilton Brands
12/09/2018 - 09:20
Dr. Oetker has acquired US-based cake decorating business Wilton Brands from TowerBrook Capital Partners for an undisclosed sum.
Food and grocery price increases in South Africa: 2017 vs 2018
03/08/2018 - 10:15
Annual food inflation has continued to slow despite April’s rise in value-added tax (VAT), and some food items are actually cheaper than they were a year ago.