Markus Jooste quits as Steinhoff CEO
By Robert Laing - Dec 6th 2017, 10:19
Steinhoff International CEO Marcus Jooste resigned on Tuesday night, and the release of the company's full-year results - originally scheduled for Wednesday - has been delayed indefinitely.
The CEO of recently unbundled Steinhoff African Retail (Star), Ben la Grange, has also resigned with immediate effect but will remain as a nonexecutive director on Star's board.
Steinhoff''s share price crashed 61% to R17.56 shortly after the JSE opened at 9 am from Tuesday's R45.65 closing price.
Star's share price fell 29% to R17.55 on Wednesday morning following the announcement of Jooste's departure.
The share price of KAP Industrial, the former manufacturing arm of Steinhoff, fell 14% to R7.45.
Steinhoff's chairman, retail tycoon Christo Wiese, alongside former Pepkor CEO Pieter Erasmus, will run Steinhoff until a new CEO is appointed, a statement issued at 10.45pm on Tuesday night said.
La Grange has been replaced by Star chief operating officer Leon Lourens as CEO with immediate effect, the company said on Wednesday.
“The supervisory board of Steinhoff wishes to advise shareholders that new information has come to light today which relates to accounting irregularities requiring further investigation,” the statement said.
“The supervisory board, in consultation with the statutory auditors of the company, has approached PwC to perform an independent investigation.”
Jooste had tendered his resignation with immediate effect, and the board had accepted it, Tuesday night’s statement said.
Jooste, who had been with Steinhoff since 1988 and was CEO of Steinhoff International since 2000, was credited with growing the South African furniture manufacturer and retailer into Europe's second-largest player, behind Ikea, via a string of acquisitions including France's Conforama chain.
The group’s share price has fallen 18.2% from Friday’s closing price of R55.81 to R45.65 on Tuesday after warning shareholders on Monday its results would not be signed by its auditors.
“The supervisory board and the statutory auditors of the company have not yet finalised their review of certain matters and circumstances, most of which were raised by the criminal and tax investigation in Germany, as previously reported,” Monday’s statement said.
Steinhoff said on Tuesday its results for the year to end-September would be released “when it is in a position to do so”.
It warned shareholders it may have to restate past financial statements. © BusinessLIVE MMXVII
Billionaire Christo Wiese cuts Shoprite stake to free up about R3.8bn
27/06/2018 - 11:42
South African billionaire Christo Wiese will reduce his stake in Africa’s biggest supermarket chain by about R3.8bn as the businessman most stung by the near collapse of Steinhoff boosts his liquidity.
Pepkor name is back as Star distances itself from Steinhoff
30/05/2018 - 14:24
Steinhoff Africa Retail (Star) is planning to distance itself from its scandal-ridden parent by changing its name back to the original Pepkor.
Steinhoff may consider reducing its stake in Steinhoff Africa Retail
26/03/2018 - 11:31
Steinhoff International is considering the sale of part of a R58bn stake in its separately listed African operations as the crisis-hit retailer looks to shore up liquidity, according to two people familiar with the matter.
Merger with Steinhoff not an option, says Shoprite CEO
01/03/2018 - 10:10
Shoprite CEO Pieter Engelbrecht says a merger would not make sense now.
Wiese sees ray of light after losing billions on Steinhoff
28/02/2018 - 09:17
Christo Wiese lost more than $2 billion when Steinhoff International Holdings NV plunged following the discovery of accounting irregularities. Luckily for him, he’s still the biggest investor in Shoprite Holdings Ltd., an African supermarket giant whose shares are at a record high.