Steve Jobs threatened patent lawsuits
BusinessTech.co.za - Jan 23rd 2013, 09:27
Apple co-founder Steve Jobs threatened to file a patent lawsuit against Palm if that company’s chief executive didn’t agree to refrain from poaching Apple employees, according to a court filing made public on Tuesday.
The communication from Jobs surfaced in a civil lawsuit brought by five tech workers against Apple Inc, Google Inc, Intel Corp and others, alleging an illegal conspiracy to eliminate competition for each other’s employees and drive down wages.
The defendant tech companies have attempted to keep a range of documents secret. However, U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California rejected parts of that request, which led to details of Jobs’ 2007 communications with then-Palm chief executive Edward Colligan becoming part of the public record.
Jobs proposed eliminating competition between the two companies for talent, according to a sworn statement from Colligan cited by the plaintiffs.
“Mr. Jobs also suggested that if Palm did not agree to such an arrangement, Palm could face lawsuits alleging infringement of Apple’s many patents,” Colligan said in the statement.
An Apple representative could not immediately be reached for comment on Tuesday. A spokesman for Hewlett-Packard Co, which acquired Palm, also could not be reached.
Colligan told Jobs that the plan was “likely illegal,” and that Palm was not “intimidated” by the threat.
“If you choose the litigation route, we can respond with our own claims based on patent assets, but I don’t think litigation is the answer,” he said.
In 2010, Google, Apple, Adobe Systems Inc, Intel, Intuit Inc and Walt Disney Co’s Pixar unit agreed to a settlement of a U.S. Justice Department probe that bars them from agreeing to refrain from poaching each other’s employees.
The Justice Department and California state antitrust regulators then sued eBay Inc late last year over an alleged no-poaching deal with Intuit.
In a separate court filing on Tuesday, eBay asked a U.S. judge to dismiss the government’s lawsuits, saying the company had done nothing wrong.
Antitrust law “does not exist to micromanage the interaction between the officers and directors of a public company,” eBay said in its filing. A Justice Department spokesman could not immediately be reached.
Koh is currently mulling whether the civil lawsuit can proceed as a class action, which would give the plaintiffs more leverage to extract a large settlement. Plaintiff attorneys have estimated that damages potentially could run into hundreds of millions of dollars.
At court hearing last week, Koh cited emails between top executives as key evidence for plaintiffs, though the judge also said plaintiffs’ economic analysis had “holes.”
The Tuesday court filings detail how Google developed its no-hire agreements. When Google’s human resources director asked then-chief executive Eric Schmidt about sharing its no-cold call agreements with competitors, Schmidt – now the company’s executive chairman – advised discretion.
“Schmidt responded that he preferred it be shared ‘verbally, since I don’t want to create a paper trail over which we can be sued later?’” he said, according to the court filing. The HR director agreed.
In an email on Tuesday, Google spokeswoman Niki Fenwick said Google has “always actively and aggressively recruited top talent.”
Schmidt is scheduled to be questioned by plaintiff lawyers next month.
Huawei upbeat about smartphone sales despite US bans
06/11/2019 - 09:34
Huawei expects smartphone shipments to grow 20% in 2020 even if it is blocked from the latest Google software, suggesting the Trump administration’s efforts to contain the company’s rise may not be working.
Nintendo scores huge smartphone hit with Mario Kart Tour
30/10/2019 - 10:31
Nintendo Co. can finally claim a mega-hit smartphone game with its new Mario Kart Tour, which has been downloaded 123.9 million times in its first month and comfortably eclipsed the company’s previous mobile game debuts, Sensor Tower data showed.
President Cyril Ramaphosa launches SA's first smartphone plant
21/10/2019 - 09:52
President Cyril Ramaphosa recently opened South Africa's first smartphone production plant at the Dube TradePort in Durban.
SA consumers embrace digital shopping
08/04/2019 - 09:30
Smartphones have become the go-to technology for online shopping, with more than 20percent of South African consumers using them weekly over other mobile devices.
Global smartphone sales see worst drop ever in 2018, survey shows
04/02/2019 - 10:58
Global smartphone sales saw their worst contraction in 2018, and the outlook for 2019 is not much better, new surveys show.