Advertise with fastmoving.co.za
 
 

Nambia: Construction starts on the Old Mutual Keetmanshoop Retail Centre
Nambia: Construction starts on the Old Mutual Keetmanshoop Retail Centre

Nambia: Construction starts on the Old Mutual Keetmanshoop Retail Centre

RETAILER NEWS

Economist.com.na - Jan 18th 2013, 09:34

His Excellency, President Hifikepunye Pohamba, on 26 October 2012 laid the foundation for the N$92 million Keetmanshoop Retail Centre, which is being developed by financial services giant Old Mutual. 

The Centre boasts a total of 10,000 m2 of gross lettable space, of which 95% will be for retail and the remaining 5% for office space. Old Mutual’s own offices in the southern town will be relocated to the Centre when it opens towards the end of 2013. Already, 87% of the lettable space has been taken up by tenants whilst negotiations with more potential tenants to take up the remaining retail space, are at an advance stage.

Confirmed retail tenants include, amongst others, Shoprite, OK Furnishers, Hungry Lion, Shoprite Liquor, Edgars Active, Jet, Legit, CAN, Foschini, Markham, Exact! and Mr. Price.

The Centre, which was designed by Hugo Scheepers & Augustinho Ferreira architects, is being constructed by NMC Construction Namibia. Other professionals working on this project include Dawid Nel Quantity Surveyors as quantity surveyors and Windhoek Consulting Engineers as engineers. The new Centre is scheduled to open for trading in November 2013, well in time for the 2013 Christmas shopping season.

Speaking at the occasion, Managing Director for Old Mutual Africa Operations, Johannes !Gawaxab, reiterated Old Mutual’s commitment to fostering sustainable economic growth and eliminating poverty by partnering other key players in the economy.

!Gawaxab highlighted the need for the private sector to invest in long-term commercial opportunities in order to secure the future, adding that “… investing in economic and social infrastructure should never be seen as a technical process, but rather as an opportunity to mobilise people to create a new society and expand economic opportunities”.

!Gawaxab concluded by appealing to all stakeholders to support the project so as to ensure its successful fruition as planned.

 

Related News

Slight upturn in prospects for SA 2019/2020 stone fruit exports
16/10/2019 - 10:11
The latest forecast for South Africa's stone fruit season points to improved volumes compared to last year although the continued effects of drought in some areas and adverse weather during pollination has impacted the full potential, an industry body said on Tuesday.

Shoprite makes significant positive impact
10/10/2019 - 11:01
The Shoprite Group’s significant positive impact in the countries and communities in which it operates have seen it subsidise staple products to the value of R141 million, donate surplus food and goods to the value of R60.4 million and serve more than 20 million meals to communities in need in the 2019 financial year.

Shoprite works to prevent childhood stunting
08/10/2019 - 09:46
The Shoprite Group has announced investment in several specific interventions to prevent childhood stunting which leaves one in four South African children under the age of five with lifelong cognitive, educational and employment challenges.

Health innovation is an opportunity for South African brands across multiple industries
23/09/2019 - 14:22
With government striving to pass legislation to create a National Health Insurance (NHI) scheme to serve all South Africans, the country’s health and wellness market is in flux. Along with the global trends reshaping the sector, this is a recipe for massive change and disruption that could have wide implications for consumer brands in every segment.

Multi-million rand Rustenburg Mall underway
09/09/2019 - 11:07
Rustenburg shoppers can look forward to a brand new shopping centre – Rustenburg Mall – set to introduce its first phase in April 2021.